To fight crime and terrorism, surveillance and control systems are in place at borders and across the national territory. These systems strengthen the capacities of security forces in three key areas: prevention, protection and response.
Prevention involves identifying, assessing and neutralising the threat before an act is perpetrated. The Thales National Security Intelligence System cross-references data collected and to build a common operational picture of a situation, the agencies involved and their response procedures. Another solution, the Homeland Surveillance System, addresses surveillance and control requirements at borders and within the national territory. It includes land and sea border surveillance as well as video tracking and identity management.
Thales physical security solutions meet the needs of critical infrastructures requiring a high level of protection and are tailored to the specific operational contexts of airports, ports, power stations, etc. They are based on thorough risk analysis to guarantee improved security and resilience. An effective response to risks and threats calls for an understanding of the initial situation, the ability to analyse events as they unfold, a mission preparation and execution capability, and structured communications with all stakeholders, including the general population. To support these actions, Thales solutions encompass:
- Fixed and mobile systems for analysing, communicating and processing information
- Professional (PMR) and combat (PR4G F@STNET) radios
- Positioning and identification systems
- Counter-IED protection systems
- CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear) protection solutions
- Command and control systems tailored to public security and large-scale crises
Thales solutions boosts users' own capabilities to reduce reaction times between the alert and the response. One example is the Public Security Database (BDSP) developed with the French Gendarmerie, which immediately identifies the location of a person placing a call to an emergency number, provides an interactive map indicating the agencies involved, logs events, etc.
Thales homeland and border security solutions make it possible to:
- Improve the efficiency of border surveillance and control operations
- Optimise deployment and allocation of human and technical resources
- Adapt systems and resources dynamically to changes in the threat environment